We are really close to the end over here, me and the boy (and R, I suppose). My last day of work is officially 10/26, and I've been like some sort of caffeine-fueled demon trying to get everything wrapped up before then. Just when I think I have things under control, there is more stuff to do or more meetings to attend.
And just for fun, I went to the doctor the other day. When she examined my cervix, she said it was really soft (an indicator that it's thinking about dilating). She said she didn't think I'd go over 39 weeks. Wonderfully, she also said that she could feel his head right above the cervix, so things look great for a vaginal delivery. That's the news I wanted to hear.
I've been having very very very slight cramps. Any slighter and I wouldn't be able to notice them, but still a sign that Something is Happening and Something Bigger is coming before too terribly long. I've decided that the house needs to be 100% baby-ready by the end of this weekend. No doubt this will involve several trips to Babies R Us and Target this weekend to get things like waterproof mattress pads and sheets for the cradle and all that good stuff. I have a baby shower today at work,so I think we'll probably be all set. Here is my list of stuff what still needs to be done:
- Clear out extraneous crap in nursery--this should take about an hour, and it is mostly stuff that Rick needs to deal with.
- Wash all baby clothes and put away (including cloth diapers)
- Get waterproof mattress pad for crib and put bedding on crib
- Assemble cradle, possibly get mattress and bedding for cradle (the bedding we'll definitely need, but I'm hoping the mattress is in the box.)
- Put up shelves in the nursery. (we have a ton of stuffed animals already for this kid, and I'd like someplace to put a clock and the iPod dock we're keeping in his room)
- Set up changing station. (this involves probably getting a couple covers for the changing pad and setting out all my changing supplies, which friends gave us a while back)
- Stock up on frozen food. Maybe I'll boil up a chicken this weekend and freeze some stock and some pot pies. And possibly bake up some muffins and freeze them.
- Call up pediatrician. This probably should have done a couple weeks ago, but oh well.
- PACK LABOR BAG! This would be a good one not to forget about, huh? One item some of my older books warn you to be certain to include is makeup. Somehow I cannot imagine giving a rats ass about makeup in the first few days after my son's birth.
- Put away all baby gifts, hopefully someplace in the nursery. I'm hoping this will just fall naturally into place and won't involve me in dissolving into tears trying to find the best place for the diaper pail.
- INSTALL CAR SEAT. Again, this would be a good one not to forget, seeing as how we can't actually take the kid home without it.
I'm sure there's more, but those are the biggies. Now you may start your betting on whether or not we'll actually get all that done by Sunday night.