We are getting over the cold from hell around here. It started Friday night with an extremely congested baby who couldn't sleep through the night. R and I had rented a movie, and it took us about 3.5 hours to watch it. It felt like punishment for daring to get back to some semblance of LBS--Life Before Sam. On Monday the drippy snotty nose started, and that continued into yesterday. Today there is a little bit of snot-nose, but also a hacking cough, which I'm pretty sure signals the end of the cold proper. Just in time--the day after tomorrow I board a plane for a three-week trip to California.*
- Vick's Baby Rub--we put this on at night and it definitely seems to soothe him
- Plug-in menthol vapor Thorny--this really makes a difference in sleeping through the night
- LOTS and LOTS of saline spray in the snout--he screams when we do this, but it loosens the congestion and helps the swelling
- Hose the nose with the bulb suction--again, he screams like we're torturing him, and it breaks my heart, but the difference in his breathing is major. We do this in the morning when he wakes up and before bed, and if he's having a lot of trouble breathing in the day.
- Cool-mist humidifier. We're keeping this on all night in addition to the plug-in thingy.
- Breastfeeding like a mofo. I breastfeed on demand anyways, but I'm very conscious about doing it every couple hours when he's sick to keep him hydrated.